Many health experts rank grape seeds as one of the top ten most nutritious edible seeds on earth. Eating grape seeds is highly recommended by doctors, dieticians and nutritionists, as they contain many healthful compounds such as linoleic acid, vitamin E, and flavanoids. Grape seeds may be added to fruit bowls, salads, smoothies, nuts, or even power bars for a healthy crunch. It is suggested that grape seeds be chewed in order to maximize the amount of nutrients received.
The flavanoids within grape seeds are the primary reason eating these seeds is so healthy. In fact, one particular group of flavonoids called oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OCPs) are said to be so potent that they possess twenty times the antioxidant capabilities of vitamin E, and fifty times the antioxidant capabilities of vitamic C. Sadly however, many people are simply unaware of these health benefits. In fact, most people do not even realize that grape seeds are edible.
However, if you are a health conscious person who is eager to eat grape seeds as a part of your regular diet, you should note that doctors recommend a daily serving size of 1-2 tablespoons. Consider 5 ways this small but healthy supplement can improve your personal health now and in the future:
1. Eating Grape Seeds Improves your cardiovascular system – Grape seeds may improve your cardiovascular health in a number of ways. Medical research shows that OCPs are effective in strengthening arteries, veins and capillaries, thereby fostering improved blood circulation. It may also be used to lower blood pressure, hinder platelet aggregation, and reduce LDL cholesterol (that’s the bad cholesterol). Studies have also shown that people whose diet contains a regular supply of OCPs have a lower risk of heart disease.
2. A Grape seed diet helps you to fight cancer – Cancer is a major health issue which affects the entire global population. The disease is characterized by the uncontrolled division of cells which ultimately leads to the growth of malignant tumors, and perhaps even death. However, in one animal study, medical experts have discovered that the antioxidant properties of OCPs may be able to reduce the size, multiplicity, and even the onset of tumors. In another experiment, OCPs were found to selectively kill cancerous cells (thus preventing their spread), while leaving healthy cells completely unharmed.
3. Reduce Chronic Inflammation by Eating Grape Seeds – It should be noted that inflammation is a part of the body’s regular immune response. It helps to remove harmful agents from the body and initiates the healing process. However chronic inflammation—lasting for several months or years—may contribute to the development of several serious health conditions such as hay fever, atherosclerosis, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, periodontitis, and some cancers. However recent research has revealed that the powerful antioxidizing effect of OCPs is effective in reducing inflammation throughout the human body. As a consequence, many researchers are now exploring the development of new treatments for rheumatoid arthritis using the natural extracts from grape seeds.
4. Eating Grape Seeds Makes You Look Good – Let’s be honest, while we certainly want to be healthier people, many of us are more interested in the excellent side effects of good health. We all want to be sexier, fitter, more flexible, and more attractive to our partners. Interestingly, science has shown that by making grape seeds a regular part of our diet, we are taking important steps toward becoming better versions of ourselves. How so? Studies have shown that the nutrients in grape seeds provide many cosmetic benefits. For example, OCPs are proven to be effective in reducing wrinkles, fine lines, sagging skin, and other signs of aging. It also helps to reduce acne and pronounced varicose veins. Even persons with obesity may benefit from regular exercise and a healthy diet supplemented with grape seeds. A 2009 study shows that grape seeds may help to reduce abdominal fat buildup and lower blood sugar.
5. OCPs in Grape Seeds Boost other Antioxidants – That’s right! As powerful as oligomeric proanthrocyanidins are, one of their most important health benefits is that they make other antioxidants from other parts of your diet even more effective. This means that more antioxidants will be available for your body’s cells to reduce or repair free radical damage and significantly reduce oxidative stress. In essence your cells will be healthier, and you will both look and feel better.
If you have the habit of discarding grape seeds, we hope this article has opened your eyes to the wonderful health benefits that are within your reach. Interested persons can also buy grape seeds online if they want to ensure that they have a regular supply. You deserve great health, great skin and a great body. By eating grape seeds, you will reach your goals one nutritious tablespoon at a time!
Image courtesy of Evan Bench